Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Intro to Moi

I guess I need to introduce myself.
I'm a 25 yo female living in West Texas with my husband of 1 year.  I'm a fairly typical "one of the guys tomboy," with an extra helping of geek.  I do enjoy some more feminine stuff, but let's face it, I'm not a girly girl.
A bit of backstory:
I went to college here in West TX. I graduated with my Civil engineering degree and went to live with my fiancee and his folks while we saved up for a down payment for a house. I went to the doctor several years ago and got diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. At this time, I was also at a job with a boss I downright hated (he stole accomplishments and was an utter Fundie jackass.) My depression (from the hypo) didn't help matters. I really don't want to think about where I'd be right now without the support of my now husband.
I switched jobs to one I loved and started to try to watch my health more. I did some more research of hypothyroidism and discovered that those with hypothyroidism tend to lose weight more easily on low carb diets. I tried that for two days, hit low carb flu, and went back to "healthy eating". Fast forward 3 months and I ran across MDA on Stumble. I read the blog archives for weeks and lurked on the forums, doing research and debating on trying the low carb thing again. The more I read, the more it made sense. The more I lurked on the forums, the more convinced I was. Trying to get both sides of the story, I used google to try to find downsides. The worst one was high cholesterol. I already had that, so I didn't care. I was in.  I started eating Primal.

I dropped my thyroid pills a few weeks ago (insert shock and horror here)  in favor of a thyroid supplement, which seems to be working better that the levothyroxine.

Why am I telling you all this medical crap?  Because it's my journal and it will crop up. Live with it.
I recently started a new job in a small town here in West Texas after being laid off by the job I loved.  I'm still not enthused by the middle management aspect of this job, but at least it pays the bills and I'm working towards my Professional Engineer (PE) license, as opposed to being unemployed.
This journal will likely be a true journal: recipes, thoughts, rants, stuff from my own special brand of religion, self experimentation, exercise stuff.... you name it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment